Monday, October 15, 2007

Charlevoix: the wedding, the wild mushrooms, and the kayaking

It was a blast to be back in Charlevoix for a week. Dave and I spent most of the week catching up with my family, and attending my friend Liz Hess's wedding.

The Wedding
The wedding was beautiful, and well planned. I saw so many old friends that I rarely run into because I'm on the West Coast....


the wedding party, at Depot Beach on Lake Charlevoix

Mushroom Hunting

Dave, Greta the Dog, me, Dad and Diane, hiking in the Jordan River Valley

My dad took us out on a mushroom hunting hike one day which was so much fun! We collected oyster mushrooms and tiny puffballs, and then he and Diane cooked them up for dinner. So tasty! They also made a fantastic golabki, or stuffed cabbage leaves, with quinoa as the stuffing. You will never leave my dad's house hungry!!

Dave took some awesome photos of the mushrooms we found- both edible and not- but I'm having diffculties uploading them....so perhaps they will be posted in the future.

Kayaking in Northern Michigan
Dave and I went kayaking down the Sturgeon River with my mom. I've gotten used to the wild mountain rivers of the Pacific Northwest...so it was a wonderful thing to once again be in the tannin soaked brown meandering rivers of Michigan. We scared up at least one heron, and had a beautiful day to float down the river.


mom and me in kayaks

Afterwards, we celebrated my birthday with dinner in Indian River, and cake and presents at home. Denny even ate some cake (a thing he isn't typically found doing!). My mom made me some awesome felted wool mittens for Antarctica. Lovely!


an awesome scarf from Liza and a great journal from Pete


mmmmmmmittens from mmmmmmom!

No comments: