Saturday, October 13, 2007

Retro: the second half of our Road Trip

So now that we're actually on the Ice (yay!) I figured I might as well post the remainder of the photos from our East Coast Road trip, which was awesome....but feels like so long ago already. In an effort to get this up to date, I'm going to gloss over the details here. The road trip was sweet! It was wonderful to visit so many friends...



Connecticut
From Boston, we drove through Massachusetts to visit our good friends Steve and Mark in Wallingford, CT. Steve put us up for a few nights, and we got really friendly with his awesome cats. They are Maine Coon, and look like little lions!


steve, wild and crazy as always


mark and chuckanucka, back seat drivers



maine coon kitties!

New York City


Uncle Frank and Chelsea in the MOMA

To our delight, we got to stay in the upper east side of new york city. My Uncle Frank has lived there for years, and he put us up with his neighbor, Brandon. I have heard about Uncle Frank's collection of African Masks and Statues, as well as his collection of Moroccan Rugs for years. But I was blown away by the number of pieces he has- and he can talk at length about each one! So here are just a few of his collection...















Dave and I also went to the MOMA and the MET- rounding out our cultural appreciation. Uncle Frank joined us at the MOMA, and we took our time walking through the exhibition of Richard Pare's photographs of Soviet Modernist Architecture. The buildings were fascinating, definitely influenced by the Modernist movement in Europe, but sometimes more crude, elemental.


the Richard Serra sculpture in the courtyard of the MOMA- one of my favorite sculptors

Baltimore
Our last stop was in Baltimore, where we stayed with Zhen and Erik, my friends from college. Another college friend, Will, was also staying with them at the time. It was great to see Zhen- we feasted on sushi the last night we were there.

Dave and I also visited my cousin Meg, and saw her house. I haven't spent much time with her in the past 10 years or so- we joked that the only time we run into each other is when someone dies.... It was great to sit around and catch up!


Meg the Polish Queen

No comments: